RedskinsQuarterback ClubCricketsHoppers • MustangsIndians
You are located here:

Home > Redskins

    Redskin Football Headline News

    Courtesy LHS

    2008 Season

    - Redskins advance with near-record breaking... (11/6/08)  
    - Greenback Stuns Loudon (9/12/08)

    Loudon vs. Happy Valley, TSSAA Playoff #2


    Redskins advance in playoffs with road squeaker

    by Brittany Davis, Loudon News Hearld

    Nov. 16, 2008

    Flags littered the field Friday night as the Loudon Redskins traveled to Happy Valley for the second round of the TSSAA playoffs. There were more than 20 penalties thrown during Loudon's 21-14 win over the Warriors, but that didn't matter as the Redskin defense showed up huge on Happy Valley's last offensive series. 

    Devan Grissom started the defensive stand by getting a huge breakup for Loudon on a third and seven pass attempt.  On fourth and seven, Jeffery Nichols had the biggest sack of the night to get the ball back in the hands of Loudon's offense – which held a 21-14 lead with 1:40 to play in the game.  The Redskins then ran out the clock to claim their spot in the third round of the playoffs – and the right to challenge defending state champion Alcoa. 

    Loudon took the opening kick off down to its own 42-yard line.  Matthew Wallace then took the ball and picked up another first down.  On third and eight, the snap was fumbled and Happy Valley recovered at its 43. 

    Loudon's defense stepped up, though, and forced the Warriors into a three and out.  Each team traded out possessions, but it was the Warriors who were able to get within striking distance first. 
    Happy Valley's drive was helped out with a personal foul and a facemask by the Redskins, but with the Warriors with a first and goal from the 10-yard line it was Richard Butkus who got a huge sack for a loss of 10. 

    On second and goal from the 20, Loudon's secondary was able to force an incomplete pass. 
    The Warriors tried once again for the air on third down, but Keenan Hawkins came away with a huge interception. 

    Loudon's offense started out on its own two-yard line and that proved to be a problem as they were only able to get to their own 31 before punting.  After a failed Happy Valley drive, the Redskins got the ball back with 44 seconds left to go in the first quarter. D'Andre Miley took the first carry and picked up five yards to get out to Happy Valley's 33 and end the period. 

    To start the second quarter, it was Wallace who was able to pick up the first down out to the 25.  From there Loudon went five yards back on a false start, but that didn't matter, as Miley was able to get back to the 15.  Wallace then converted the third and short to just outside the 10.  From there it was Miley who took the ball into the end zone from two yards out after three attempts.  The point after was blocked, but the Redskins were up 6-0. 

    That lead was short lived, however, as the Warriors answered on their next drive.  They went 71 yards to pay dirt with the touchdown coming on a 35-yard touchdown throw from Ethan Fleenor to Jake Hodge.  The PAT was no good, and Happy Valley evened the game at six with 6:57 left in the second. 

    The Redskins came back on offense and were able to get things going.  Brandon Johnson found Hawkins, but he was unable to convert on third and 15.  Loudon lined up in punt formation, but it was Wade Plemons who took the snap and picked up the first down at the 36. 

    Miley carried the ball on back to back plays and was able to pick up a first down at the 20.  The senior tailback carried once again and picked up four yards, but there was a flag on the play.  The Redskins faced a second and 16 and once again it was Miley who got the call.  On third and 10 Miley followed Tyler Barr's block and picked up six points.  Once again Loudon went to trickery as Johnson found Barr for the two-point conversion from the field goal set.  Loudon was up 14-6 with nearly two minutes to go before the half. 

    The Warriors weren't done driving in the half, though, and with 1:42 to play they got down to first and goal from the nine.  The Redskin defense stepped up, however and held the line four straight times to force the turnover.  Loudon was up 14-6 at halftime. 

    That lead didn't last very long after the break, as the Warriors were able to pick off a Redskin pass to start the third quarter.  They started their drive at their own 42 and marched down field.  They finally hit pay dirt with 7:08 to go on a third down conversion as Landon South scored on the carry.  Fleenor then found Joe Guinn for the two-point conversion to tie the game at 14. 

      Loudon's next offensive series was plagued by penalties as four yellow hankies were thrown for 20 total yards.  All that frustration led to an interception by Happy Valley. 

    The Redskins defense had enough, though, and stepped up with a big three and out capped off by what would have been an interception by Grissom, but he was ruled out of bounds. 

    Each team traded possessions, but the Redskins got the ball back with 10:10 left to go in the game. 
    The Redskins picked up a first down but had it called back for an illegal shift.  Barr got two carries to get back all but one yard.  Plemons was able to pick up the first down on a quarterback keeper.  Plemons then found Aaron Anderson for another huge first down to go inside Happy Valley territory. 
    Once again Barr got the call and was able to pick up another Loudon first down. 

    Barr took the Redskins down to the five-yard line where the Warriors were called for two consecutive offsides.  Miley was able to take the ball in from the one and a half yard line to pick up six.  Carlos Espinoza's extra point was good to give Loudon the lead 21-14 with 3:39 to go. 

    Loudon's defensive stand started with Espinoza's kick off, which was bobbled at the five yard line by Happy Valley.  The Warrior return only made it to the 15, giving them a long field for the comeback attempt. 

    On first down, Fleenor's pass was incomplete, but on second down he found Hodge and the Redskins were flagged for a facemask.  As a result, Happy Valley had the ball at the 39.  Fleenor went to Hodge again but the Redskin defense was able to hold him to only three yards.  The next two passes were incomplete; the second was on a huge knock down by Grissom.  Then on fourth and seven, Nichols had the biggest sack of the year for Loudon. 

    The Redskins took over on downs at the Warriors 32 yard line with 1:40 to play.  They were able to pick up a first down and run two plays before lining up in victory formation. 

    With the win, Loudon will get a chance at a rematch with Alcoa after falling to the Tornadoes 37-0 in the regular season finale.  Game time is set for 7 p.m. Friday night in Alcoa.

    Loudon vs. South Greene, TSSAA Playoff #1


    Redskins advance with near-record breaking performance

    by Dewey Morgan, Loudon News Hearld

    Nov. 6, 2008

    Photos from CoachT by Sammie Dunlap
    It was almost a record breaking night for the Loudon Redskins Friday night as they piled up 451 yards on the ground in a 43-6 win over South Greene in the opening round of the Tennessee Secondary Schools Association (TSSAA) playoffs.

    The Redskins, a number 2 seed out of Region 2(2A) playing at home against Region 1(2A)'s no. 3 seed, got off to a slow start but saw the running game open things up. Down 6-0 after the Rebels' opening drive, the Redskins were in danger of falling behind even more as South Greene moved the ball inside the Loudon 10.  A slant pass into the end zone was tipped, though, and Nathan West came away with the interception.  He took it back out to the Loudon seven, and the running game took it from there. On the first play from scrimmage, senior D'Andre Miley broke through the line and sprinted 93 yards down the left sideline to paydirt. 

    Carlos Espinoza hit the extra point, and Loudon swung momentum with a 7-6 lead. "That was big, that was the spark we needed," said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig after the game. "We've told everybody all year long D'Andre's the kind of guy that gives us that spark and he made a big play." Miley was making big plays all night for the Redskins, carrying the ball 19 times for 201 yards and two touchdowns. Fellow tailback Tyler Barr added 34 yards and three scores and junior Jake Brown tacked on 69 yards and a score. The combined 451 total rushing yards came just two yards shy of the team rushing record set in 2005 against Lenoir City. 

    The long TD run by Miley truly was a momentum shifter, as the next South Greene drive began at the Rebels own four and lasted just two plays before a fumble recovery by Aaron Anderson set Loudon up for another score. One play after the fumble, Barr dove in from a yard out and extended the Redskin lead. Espinoza hit the PAT again, giving Loudon a full 14-6 advantage. After a three and out by the Rebels, the Redskins were back on the board again. A 15-play, 71-yard drive by Loudon culminated in a 33-yard field goal by Espinoza and, with 4:30 left in the half, the hosts led 17-6. 

    The visitors continued to have problems holding onto the football in the wet conditions, as quarterback Scott Susong fumbled the ball on the second play of the ensuing drive and Anderson had his second recovery of the game. Seven plays later, Barr punched in his second TD of the game, after recording 16 of the 30 yards on the drive. Espinoza missed this PAT, keeping the Loudon advantage at 23-6 at the break. 

    Both offenses struggled to get anything going coming out of halftime, as neither team found the end zone through four combined drives to open the third. Finally, after a South Greene punt traveled to the Rebel 34, the Redskins dented the scoreboard. Barr punched in the lone score of the third quarter, capping an eight-play drive with a four-yard run over left tackle. Espinoza once again was wide on the point after, leaving Loudon with a 29-6 lead after three quarters. 

    The third period clock rolled to all zeros tow plays into a Loudon drive, and it took the Redskins just two more plays in the new quarter to hit the end zone. A 41-yard pass play from Brandon Johnson to Dejay Johnson moved the ball to the Rebel 32 to end the quarter and then Miley took over, rushing three times for 32 yards – the last of which went for 20 yards and six points. 

    Espinoza got back on track with hit extra points, extending the Redskin advantage to 36-6. South Greene threatened to put up points on the next drive, but a big play by Loudon put an end to that.

    Susong drove the Rebels through the air to the Loudon 35 before taking a shot for the end zone. On third and five, Susong went down the left sideline, looking for Andrew Long.  The man he found, though, was Loudon's Josh Berry, who stepped in front of the receiver for the pick and was promptly tackled at the one. 

    The Redskin running game was unphased by the shadow of the end zone, though, as Matthew Wallace took the first handoff for 11 yards and a first down. Twelve plays later, all runs, Jake Brown found an opening in the middle of the line and broke free for a 10-yard touchdown run. Espinoza sealed the final tally with his fourth PAT. 

    "I think we got some confidence back and we'll have a better start for sure next week," Harig said. The game he referenced is the second round contest at Happy Valley Friday night. The number one seed from Region 1(2A) earned the berth with a 20-7 win over West Greene. 
    Game time is set for 7 p.m.
    Region Title Eludes Loudon in Loss to Alcoa

    by Brittany Davis, Loudon News Hearld

    Nov. 1, 2008

    The Loudon Redskins headed to Alcoa to take on the number one ranked Tornadoes Thursday night for the Region 2(2A) championship.  Loudon had a daunting task, as Alcoa had allowed no visitor to put up any points at home.  This night would be no different as the Tornadoes won the region championship with a 37-0 victory over the Redskins. 

    The Tornadoes put up 34 points in the first half leaving the Redskins with a big hole to dig out of, though the opening possession for the hosts didn't mirror that.  The first series for Alcoa ended in a fumble with the Redskins recovering. 

    Loudon took the ball from its own 43-yard line with D'Andre Miley getting the call on first down.  Alcoa's defense was ready and knocked Miley back for a five yard loss.  Quarterback Wade Plemons then tried to run the ball, but was denied.  On third down the Redskins were offsides and the Tornadoes declined to force Loudon to punt. 

    Alcoa's second offensive possession ended with seven points.  The Tornadoes marched down the field and capped off the drive with a 15-yard option from Chase James to Jalik Toney for the score.  Derrick Brodus added the point after to give the Tornadoes a 7-0 lead

    Loudon went three and out on its next series, but the visitors didn't go down without a bit of trickery.  Plemons gave the ball to Miley on the reverse and he he went back to Keenan Hawkins for the double reverse on third down, but it didn't fool Alcoa.  Hawkins lined up to punt and returnman Daniel Cline fielded it at the 45 yard line and took it all the way to pay dirt for the Tornadoes.  Brodus's point after was good and Alcoa increased its lead to 14-0. 

    The Redskins still couldn't get anything going offensively and were once again forced to punt. 
    To start the second quarter, Alcoa lined up on first down at its own 42 and James found A.J. Young for the 58-yard score.  Brodus remained perfect on points after and the Tornadoes were up 21-0. 

    The Redskin offense finally picked up its initial first down of the night when Tyler Barr rushed for 22 yards, but that was all Loudon was able to do on the drive and Hawkins was once again called on to punt. 

    Alcoa took the ball from its own 30 and, after picking up two first downs, James found Robinson for another 58 yard TD.  Brodus' PAT was good as the Tornadoes added to their lead, 28-0. 

    After yet another Loudon punt, the Tornadoes took the ball from their own 40-yard line, after marching down the field to the visiting four they lined up to kick the field goal.  On the snap, though, James came in from the tight end position to get the ball and found Robinson for the TD.  The point after was no good, but Alcoa took the 34-0 lead into halftime. 

    The third quarter got under way with the Redskins throwing an interception from their own 20.  Alcoa then took the ball down to the eight, but weren't able to get into the end zone.  Brodus knocked through the field goal, increasing the Tornado lead to 37-0 and putting the mercy rule into effect. 
    The rest of the third quarter passed by without either team scoring. 

    At the end of the fourth quarter the Redskins marched the ball down field from their own 36-yard line.  Brandon Johnson found Keenan Hawkins for a first down at the 48.  From there Jordan Purdy got the call and carried a few Tornadoes down the field and picked up another first down for the Redskins.  The drive stalled, though, on a series of incomplete passes and then the clock expiring.  The Tornadoes clinched yet another unbeaten season in region play and stayed unscored upon at home as the clock hit zero. 

    Despite the loss, Loudon will still receive a home playoff game in the opening round.
    Loudon vs. Boyd Buchanan '08 - Photos by Sammie Dunlap
    Buccaneers overpower Redskins during rainy homecoming
    by Dewey Morgan - Loudon News Hearld
    October 25, 2008
    The first quarter activities gave way to three quarters of stalemate Friday night as the Loudon Redskins dropped their homecoming date to Boyd-Buchanan 13-6 on a rain-soaked evening. 

    “I didn't know if we could match up physically with them,” said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig.  “Their defense was good, I thought our defense played well, but we didn't play as well as their defense.” 
    Harig added he thought his players did meet the physical challenge brought by the Buccaneers, but ultimately the offense just didn't make enough plays.  “We were just out of sorts a little bit.  We had the emotional blocked punt and score and I thought we were too emotional.  We just didn't settle down after that,” he added. 

    The blocked punt Harig spoke of came after the opening possession of the game.  Boyd took the ball first and Trey Ferguson returned the kick 47 yards to Loudon's 46.  The Redskin defense was stout, though, holding the Bucs to just four yards and forcing them into a punt.  On the punt, Loudon's Aaron Anderson beat his man to the corner and laid out to block the punt.  Tyler Barr scooped up the loose ball and raced 40 yards to paydirt.  Carlos Espinoza's extra point was then blocked, keeping the Loudon advantage at 6-0. 

    Boyd then took possession at its own 13 after the kickoff and orchestrated a 12-play scoring drive.  The first play of the drive set the tone for the Bucs as Taylor Gilley broke free for a 23-yard pickup to the visitors' 36.  The Buccaneer offense then gained 18 yards on the next four plays, setting up a fourth and two from the Loudon 46.  Boyd Head Coach Grant Reynolds decided to go for it from here and tailback Ben Beasley rewarded the gamble with a three-yard run for the conversion. 

    The Buccaneers covered the final 43 yards in just five plays, as Gilley capped the drive with a 14-yard touchdown run over left tackle.  Jake Lockert nailed the PAT, and Boyd-Buchanan held what would result in a winning margin, 7-6. 

    A key mistake by the Redskins set Boyd up in prime field position on the ensuing drive.  The Redskins began from their own 34 and gained a net of one yard over the next two plays as tailback D'Andre Miley gained two yards, but then receiver Devan Grissom was pulled down for a one-yard loss on an option play. 

    Facing a third and one, Redskin senior quarterback Brandon Johnson had a pass tipped into the air and intercepted by Boyd's Lockert.  The Bucs took over at the host 36 and took advantage of the short field. 

    A 20-yard pass from quarterback Nic Hughes to Ferguson moved the ball inside the 20 before a rush of a yard by Gilley put the pigskin at the Loudon 15.  Hughes kept the ball on the zone read play this time, finding room to run the necessary yardage to paydirt.  Lockert missed this extra point, but the 13-6 lead was plenty for Boyd with 4:09 still left in the opening quarter. 

    The Redskin offense still had some threats left in it, though, despite the teams trading punts for the next three minutes. 

    Finally, with 15 seconds left in the half, a Boyd punt from its own 13 was tipped by the Redskin rush and the ball landed harmlessly at the visitors' 20.  Loudon took possession there, and Harig called for the field goal unit. 

    With five seconds remaining, Espinoza's attempt to cut into the deficit was blocked by the Buccaneer rush, sending Loudon to the locker room still down by seven. 

    The stats mirrored the struggles of the Redskins through  the first half, as the Buccaneers enjoyed ground success to the tune of 120 yards, while the Redskins hit halftime with zero yards rushing.  Halftime passing yardage did favor Loudon, though only slightly at 30 yards for the hosts and 25 for the visitors. 

    Harig said the weather didn't have much effect on his gameplanning, but Boyd's stingy defense did.  “That was just like running into a brick wall,” the coach said about the team's attempts to run outside the tackles in the first half.  “They did a good job of taking away what we did well.”  The Redskins attempted four rushes for seven yards in the second half, as opposed to five for negative 15 yards in the first half. 

    The Redskins appeared to be about to get something going at the start of the second half, despite a deep pass on the first play failing to hit its mark.  On second and third down, Miley went to work and gained nine total yards, setting up fourth and one from the Redskin 33.  Harig chose to gamble on the play, and senior Matthew Wallace came out of the wishbone formation to fall forward for a three-yard gain. 

    The Loudon offense pushed the ball five more yards to its own 41, but the Boyd defense forced a punt from there. 

    The Bucs were forced into a punt on their next drive, giving the ball back to Loudon at its own 32, but the host offense was once again stymied after threatening.  After driving to the Boyd 25 yard line, Harig again chose to take a chance on fourth and four, but this time it didn't pay off.  Johnson tried to find Keenan Hawkins on the outside, but underthrew his target and the ball returned to Boyd late in the third. 

    The Buccaneers were once again forced to punt, but again Loudon failed to convert a fourth and short.  This time, the Redskins drove to the 50, before being forced into the fourth down decision.  On fourth and one, the Redskin offense once again lined up in the wishbone, but Barr was stuffed for a loss of one and Boyd took back over. 

    The Bucs took possession on the Loudon 49 with 10:38 left to play and had the goal of adding to the total on their mind.  A drawn-out seven play drive moved the Buccaneers to the Loudon nine with just over seven minutes to play.  

    On fourth and six, Reynolds chose to send out the field goal unit to extend the advantage to 10.  Lockert's field goal was blocked, though, giving Loudon another gasp. 

    A Johnson pass to Lee Poynter was the only positive for Loudon on the drive, as the Redskins were yet again forced to punt the football away. 

    Boyd was able to eat three minutes from the clock before being forced to give the ball back to Loudon, which the Bucs did with a punt to the Redskin 20. 

    At this point, the hosts were in full passing mode, hoping for the late comeback.  Johnson completed his first three passes, moving the ball to the 34 and then he scrambled nearly to the 40.  Three straight incompletions sealed the fate of the Redskins, though, as Boyd ran the clock under a minute and a final desperation drive by Loudon covered just 18 yards. 

    Loudon finished the game with 32 yards rushing and 115 yards through the air.  The Buccaneers countered this with 154 yards on the ground and 87 passing.  

    Johnson finished the day 14 for 28 for 115 yards and two interceptions.  Miley ended the game with nine carries for 16 yards. 

    The Redskins (6-3, 5-0) will finish up the regular season with, perhaps, the toughest game of the season – a trip to Region 2(2A) rival Alcoa.  The two teams are unbeaten in region play and will fight for the top berth in the region Thursday night. 

    Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
    Loudon vs. Oliver Springs '08
    After Slow Start, Redskins Cruise to Victory
    by Brittany Davis - Source: News Hearld
    October 19, 2008
    On the first cold night of the season, the Redskins got off to a cold start, but quickly turned on the heat to come away with a 42-0 win at Region 2(2A) foe Wartburg. Loudon got off to a rough start on the offensive front as its first drive ended with an interception.  The defense got its job done, though, as they made a goal line stand and denied Wartburg six. The Redskins moved the ball well on their second drive, gaining yardage from their own 28 to the Wartburg 18 – largely behind tailback D'Andre Miley carrying the ball 17 yards and QB Wade Plemons finding Devan Grissom for nine yards.  After a quarterback keeper, the Redskins fumbled the ball at the 18-yard line and the Bulldogs took over. 

    Once again Loudon's defense stepped up and kept Wartburg moving backward deep in its own territory.  The Bulldogs were called for holding in the end zone, which gave the Redskins a safety and their first points of the night. Up 2-0, Loudon got the ball back midway through the second quarter and once again started the offensive attack with Miley. 

    On second down and five, Plemons ran the ball to pick up the first down.  The Redskins got penalties called and were at a second and 23 when Miley picked up five yards.  Then Plemons found Matthew Wallace for a first down at the Wartburg 26. From there Miley went back to work getting the ball down to the two-yardline.  Tyler Barr then punched it in for Loudon to go up 8-0 after the failed extra point. 

    The visiting defense held the Bulldogs to a three and out with the Redskins getting the ball back with 1:55 left in the half.  Brandon Johnson found Keenan Hawkins for a first down at the Bulldog 27-yardline.  Johnson then went back to Hawkins, who got out of bounds at the 21.  Back to the air again, Johnson found Wallace to get inside the 10 for a first and goal from the eight. A Johnson pass to Lee Poynter earned a pick up of two and then, on a scramble, Johnson found the end zone for the touchdown from six yards out.  The Redskins went for two, and Plemons found Aaron Anderson in the end zone to send Loudon to halftime leading 16-0. 

    Loudon's defense hit the field first in the second half and on the second play, Tyler Barr had an interception.  It was returned for a TD, but that was negated by a block in the back penalty. 
    Unphased by the penalty, it only took two plays for the Redskin offense to get into the end zone from the seven.  Plemons picked up three yards before Wallace found paydirt from the four. Espinoza's PAT was good and the Redskins were up 23-0. The defense held up once more and gave the ball back to the Loudon offense in excellent field position. Loudon's Johnson found Hawkins for a 16-yard pick up.  Then Miley got the call and took the ball in for a touchdown from 19 yards out.  Espinoza added the point after to increase the Redskin lead to 30-0. 

    The defense came up with another big play as Wallace intercepted a Wartburg pass at the 20.  He took it down to the 10, setting up first and goal. It took Miley two tries from there, but he got in for six.  The point after was no good but Loudon was up 36-0 and the mercy rule was in effect. Loudon's offense ate up most of the clock in the fourth quarter and, with 1:40 left to play, Jake Brown took off from his own 20-yard line for an 80-yard touchdown run.  The Redskins took a knee on the two-point conversion and let the clock expire. Loudon took home win six on the season and are now 5-0 in region play.  The Redskins (6-2, 5-0) take on Boyd Buchanan Friday night for homecoming.  

    Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
    Miley shines as Redskins overcome Bobcats 48-6

    by Brittany Davis - Source: News Hearld

    October 12, 2008

    Tailback D'Andre Miley led the Loudon Redskins to a 48-6 Region 2(2A) win Friday night at Oliver Springs as he reached the end zone three times in the contest. 

    The Redskins (5-2, 4-0) got things off to a very good start early, driving 65 yards for the opening score.  On the first play of the drive, quarterback Brandon Johnson found Devan Grissom for a 13-yard pick up.  Then he found Lee Poynter for another 20-yard gain to go into Oliver Springs territory.  From there Miley took over, and on third and two took the ball to pay dirt from 17 yards out.  Carlos Espinoza added the point after and the Redskins were up 7-0. 

    Both teams traded out possessions before the Redskins were able to put up more points. On Loudon's third drive, it was penalized twice to make it first and 20, but it didn't matter as the Redskin offense finally got going.  Johnson found Poynter once again for two six-yard gains.  Then he went back to Grissom to pick up the first down at the 43-yard line.  Miley then took the ball and went 57 yards for the TD.  Espinoza added the PAT and Loudon went up 14-0. 

    To start the second quarter, the LHS defense once again pulled out the stops and got the ball back for the offense to try to put more points on the scoreboard. After a bad handoff on first down the Redskins got things together.  Wade Plemons came in at quarterback and took the ball 45 yards on a keeper to get into the end zone.  The extra point was no good, but Loudon still had the lead 20-0. 

    The Redskins turned the ball over on its next possession and the Bobcats took full advantage of the mistake. Oliver Springs pounded the ball on the ground before QB C.J. Pointer found Jonathan Thornton for the touchdown.  The PAT was no good and the Bobcats began to close the gap at 20-6. 
    Loudon closed out the half with an answer, when Luke Newman recovered a blocked punt and took the ball in for seven.  Espinoza added the point after and the Redskins were up 27-6 at the half. 

    The visitors took their first offensive series of the third quarter to pay dirt.  It all started with Keenan Hawkins returning the punt to the Bobcat 23 yard line.  Loudon was then assessed a holding penalty, but Johnson found Matthew Wallace for the 28-yard TD reception.  Espinoza added the extra point and the Redskins extended the lead to 34-6. 

    Loudon took its next offensive series for, what else, another touchdown.  It started with a quarterback keep by Plemons that went 22 yards.  Then Miley rushed 44 yards for seven at the 5:15 mark.  Espinoza added the PAT and the Redskins were up 41-6. 

    From there on out the clock kept running as Loudon was up by more than 35 points.  The Redskins tried to run the clock out by handing the ball to Jake Brown, and by the end he had a four-yard touchdown.  Espinoza's point after was good and Loudon took home win number five for the year. 

    The Redskins will travel to Wartburg Friday night and, with a win, can wrap up at least second place in the region.  Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
    Redskins roll to 30-14 win over Rockwood

    by Sammie Dunlap - Source: News Hearld

    October 4, 2008

    Coming off the bye week, the Loudon Redskins were a bit slow to get going, but opened the flood gates quickly to cruise to a 30-14 win over Region 2(2A) rival Rockwood Friday night at Dukes Field. 

    The Redskins (4-2, 3-0) had to overcome an early mistake when, on a punt attempt during the opening drive, the snap sailed over punter Keenan Hawkins' head.  

    The Tigers' Garrett Raby recovered the poor snap in the end zone for the opening score of the game.  The point after was true, putting the visitors up 7-0 early. 

    On the next drive, tailback D'Andre Miley fumbled on the second play.  The Loudon defense held, though, forcing a Rockwood punt. 

    "We had a bad start, but with good defensive play we managed to turn it around," said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig of the early mistakes. 

    After the opening miscues, the Redskins took control the remainder of the game as they scored the next 30 points. The first score came on an 11-play drive that was capped by a one-yard run by Tyler Barr.  A bad snap on the extra point attempt kept Loudon down 7-6, though. 

    Hawkins made a play on defense on the next drive, intercepting an errant Rockwood pass and returning it to the Tiger 20.  Four plays later, Wade Plemons hooked up with Hawkins for the touchdown.  The special teams continued to struggle, as the PAT was blocked to keep the margin at 12-7. 

    After a three-and-out, Loudon nearly had a special teams score, but the Jeff Nichols TD was called back on a hold. Four plays later, though, Barr punched it in from the one.  The Redskins turned to the two-point conversion this time and Plemons found Devan Grissom in the end zone to extend the lead to 20-7. 
    After yet another Tiger punt, the Redskins hit paydirt with 1:41 left in the half.  Miley found the end zone this time on a 13-yard run.  The point after was true, pushing the Loudon lead to 27-7. 
    Scoring was limited in the second half, as Miley set up Loudon for its only score with a 59-yard dash.  Espinoza followed the play with a 33-yard field goal to put the Redskins up 30-7. 

    One final TD by the Tigers in the fourth cemented the final tally. The Redskins will seek more region success Friday when they visit Oliver Springs.  Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
    Redskins vs. Rockwood
    Redskins vs. CAK '08
    Dominant Redskin defense leads to two-score win

    by Dewey Morgan, Source: News-Herald

    Sept. 19, 2008

    In a season of ups and downs, the Loudon defense led the Redskins up the hill Friday night on the way to a 28-14 Loudon victory over Sweetwater on Dukes Field. 

    The Redskins, coming off a somewhat stunning loss to Greenback last week, took on the Region 3(2A) rival Wildcats with a 2-2 record and a still inexperienced squad.  The Redskin defense took a stand, though, allowing just seven points to Sweetwater in the first 45 minutes of game time.  “When we come to play, we can be a pretty decent team,” said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig. He said the team needed to be in the right mindset to reach its full potential and added they clearly were Friday night.  “This is a mental game,” he explained.  “When you're ready to play, the physical talent will take care of itself.  We haven't been ready every game this year and our record reflects that.  We've got some kids growing up and becoming experienced and when they figure out how to play this game at this level, I think we can win some games.” 

    Loudon may be just 3-2 overall, but the win improved the Redskins' record inside the region to 2-0. 
    The game itself was a tough, physical contest between two teams who love to run the football.  Knowing this, Harig had his team prepared.  “We worked all week on their run game and I thought our kids played hard and did a good job gang tackling.” The Redskins opened the defensive struggle with a strong offensive drive.  The methodical drive lasted 10 plays and covered 73 yards before Tyler Barr finally punched in the touchdown from a yard out.  Carlos Espinoza nailed the extra point and Loudon held an early 7-0 advantage. 

    A series of errors followed as Sweetwater's opening drive ended with Tyler Richesin firing an interception to Devan Grissom down the right sideline.  The first play of Loudon's drive, though, D'Andre Miley lost the handle on the ball and Sweetwater scooped it up at Loudon's 32.  The Wildcats couldn't do anything with the football, though, as Richesin tossed his second pick of the night four plays into the drive.  Luke Newman grabbed this INT at the Redskins' 24. 

    Loudon once again commenced eating clock and driving down the field through the first quarter and into the second.  The Wildcats ended the host drive at the Sweetwater 22, though, as a fourth down pass attempt by Wade Plemons was dropped by Josh Berry. The visitors took full advantage of this newfound opportunity, as Sammy Blomstrom took the misdirection handoff and rumbled 79 yards for the score.  Ross Houston's PAT  was true and with 9:42 left in the half Sweetwater knotted the game at seven. 

    The teams traded possessions after that, but Loudon got the advantage as a Keenan Hawkins return put Loudon at the Sweetwater 27.  Five plays later, Matthew Wallace took the handoff out of the wishbone formation and pounded into the end zone.  Espinoza once again knocked the extra point through and the Redskins held a 14-7 lead with 2:41 remaining in the half. Neither team could put together a drive the remainder of the half and the hosts took their seven-point advantage to the locker rooms. 

    Harig said he noticed something Sweetwater didn't in the first half and used it to open his offense up a bit in the second half – he found that the middle of the field was wide open.  “We saw some coverages they were in and through our motion game they weren't adjusting and that was a weakness in their defense.  We took advantage of that.” 

    After a three-and-out opened the second half, Loudon showed its new dominance of the middle of the field.  Three straight passes opened the first Redskin drive of the half and two of them were to the middle of the field.  Quarterback Brandon Johnson missed on his first throw down the right sideline, but connected with Wallace on a middle slant and then with Hawkins on a fly route down the inside of the hashmark.  The completion moved the ball to the Sweetwater 13 and, three plays later, Barr punched the ball in from the three.  Espinoza added the extra point and Loudon extended its advantage to an insurmountable 21-7 margin. The scoring slowed considerably from there, as Loudon focused on eating clock and Sweetwater couldn't penetrate the stout Redskin defense.  Finally, with 3:52 left in the game, Loudon plunged in the dagger. 

    On third and five from the Sweetwater 45, Miley took the handoff from Johnson, found a seam and turned on the jets into the end zone.  Espinoza added the PAT and Loudon led in dominant fashion, 28-7. The Wildcats tacked on one final score, but Wallace grabbed the onside kick and Loudon ran out the final seconds from the clock. 

    The Redskins (3-2, 2-0) will have a bye Friday night and Harig is pleased with it.  “It's coming at a great time,” the coach confirmed.  “To come where it's at, our kids can recharge their batteries and we can look forward to the second half of the year when we've got four out of five region games.”

    The first of those games will come Friday, Oct. 3 at home against Rockwood.  Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.

    Greenback Stuns Loudon

    by Dewey Morgan, Source: News-Herald

    Sept. 12, 2008

    Intra-county matchups always have a little extra sizzle to them, both teams generally enter with a little more intensity. Friday night, there was even more buzz than most intra-county games and Greenback Head Coach Brent Kilpatrick had an idea why. “I'll just be honest – we expected to win tonight,” the coach exclaimed.  “Loudon's got a great team, but we felt we could beat them this year.” And beat them the Class A Cherokees did. When Greenback quarterback Bunkie Vanskiver, the offensive star of the contest, fell on Loudon's desperation onside kick, it was apparent to everyone in the stadium. For the first time in school history, the Greenback Cherokees had defeated the Loudon Redskins 26-23.

    Coming into the game as heavy underdogs, the Cherokees were fully aware of the highly lopsided defeats they had received from the Class 2A Redskins. The Loudon players, it seems, were aware also, as Head Coach Jeff Harig's fears of a lack of focus were realized.  “We weren't mentally focused and their kids made plays and ours didn't.  They outplayed us, outcoached us and I give them credit.” The Redskins took the ball first, in an apparent attempt to quickly quell the energy swelling up among the Greenback faithful. This wasn't the case, however, as the Loudon offense was forced into a three and out and punted the ball to Greenback.

    The fired-up ‘Kees took possession at their own 21 and, in nine plays, marched to the end zone.

    It wasn't an easy path, as the Loudon defense forced a decision on fourth and four from the visiting 38.

    Cherokee offensive coordinator Greg Ryan, true to his aggressive nature, chose to go for it early.

    The decision worked as Vanskiver flipped the ball out to senior Chase Vogt on a wide receiver screen and Vogt fought his way to a first down.

    Three plays later, Greenback was on the board first on a 28-yard scramble by Vanskiver.

    The extra point was blocked, but the Cherokees struck first, 6-0. Undaunted, the Loudon offense took the field and put together a very lengthy drive.

    Beginning from their own 31, the Redskins drove 43 yards in 17 plays and ate 8:46 off the clock. The Cherokee defense made a stand on its end of the field, though, as a fourth down pass from Brandon Johnson to Keenan Hawkins was broken up by Vogt. The Greenback offense took possession of the ball at its own 26 and used some trickery to find the end zone this time. After moving to the Loudon 49 in four plays, Ryan dug into the playbook and found a play that caught Loudon off guard.


    Vanskiver dropped back and, much like he had done numerous times already in the game, tossed a screen pass out to Vogt. Instead of running with the ball, though, the senior dropped back and fired across the field to a wide-open Daniel Willis.  The tailback caught the pass and streaked through the green grass to paydirt.

    The ‘Kees attempted a two-point conversion, but Vanskiver's pass was batted down by Devan Grissom and the Loudon defense held Greenback to a 12-0 advantage. Loudon took the ball this time and the coaches turned to the best weapon they have, senior tailback D'Andre Miley. The senior touched the ball on six of the seven plays run and capped the 64-yard drive with a 22-yard scamper. Carlos Espinoza nailed the PAT and Loudon closed the gap to 12-7.

    The Greenback offense continued its success through the air, though, as Vanskiver moved the ‘Kees 60 yards in seven plays to the Loudon 15.

    Possibly the senior's only mistake came on the final play of the drive, though, as he tried to get the ball to Vogt, but had it tipped and intercepted by Loudon's Matthew Wallace.

    The Loudon offense failed to pass the 50, though, and the teams headed to the locker room with five points seperating them.

    Loudon seemed to get things back under control after the break, as the Redskin defense stuffed the Cherokee offense for a three-and-out and the Loudon offense cashed in.

    Starting from their own 43, Miley led the Redskins down the field in seven plays to the Greenback 10.

    The host defense held firm there, though, and forced an Espinoza field goal.  It was true, and Greenback clung to a 12-10 lead.

    No intimidation showed from the ‘Kees on the ensuing drive as they marched 63 yards in 10 plays and a Vanskiver to Vogt 15-yard slant pattern capped the scoring drive.

    Jeremy Miller's point after made it through and the hosts upped their lead to 19-10.

    The teams traded possessions before the inevitable occured – a big play from Miley.

    Beginning at their own 45 early in the fourth, sophomore Wade Plemons picked up six yards for the Redskin offense and then Miley evaded numerous tacklers in the middle of the field and burst out for a 49-yard TD strike.  Espinoza's PAT cut the ‘Kee lead back to two at 19-17.

    The ‘Kees all but wrapped up the game on the next drive, though, as the offense marched 82 yards in 10 plays and fullback Jeff Harris plunged in from a yard out to cap the drive.  Miller nailed the extra point and Greenback held a 26-17 lead with 7:25 to play and enjoyed every bit of the momentum.

    With a raucous crowd doing its best to slow them, the Loudon offense bogged down at midfield on the next drive and a fourth down scramble from Johnson came up well short – giving the ball back to the ‘Kees.

    Greenback burned four minutes from the clock, but couldn't hammer the final nail in the coffin.

    Loudon took possession at its own four yard line and the passing game brought the Redskins six points closer.

    After moving the ball to midfield, Johnson dropped back and found Wallace streaking down the left sideline.  The receiver caught the ball and found his way to the end zone.  Espinoza's PAT bounced off the right upright, though, leaving the score 26-23.

    The senior kicker then attempted an onside kick as the final hope for Loudon.  The ball rolled free for the necessary 10 yards, but Vanskiver fell on it to clinch the Cherokee win.

    The senior QB finished the game with 204 passing yards and 116 on the ground.  "He's a playmaker, that's all you need to say," Kilpatrick said of his QB.  Harig also spoke of Vanskiver's big game saying he "made plays all night long.  We tried to get to him, but we couldn't get to him."

    Miley led the Loudon offense with 183 yards and two TDs.  "We knew that we could do some things in the running game," Harig explained of Miley's success.

    As for moving on, both teams are facing very different situations.  "It's a big deflator," Harig said.  "On film, I knew they were good and I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I felt that we would be OK to make the plays we needed, but unfortunately we didn't."  Kilpatrick, on the other hand, is hoping for this win to vault his team forward.  "I think confidence-wise this is going to help.  If we come out and play like this every Friday night, we have a chance to do some good things this year."

    The ‘Kees (3-0) will travel to Harriman Friday night and the Redskins (2-2) will look to rebound at home against Sweetwater.

    Both games are set to begin at 7:30 p.m.


    Battle of the Bridge 2008

    Vengeance comes for Loudon in win over CAK

    by Brittany Davis, Source: News-Herald

    Sept. 5, 2008 
    Photos by: Sammie Dunlap

    The Loudon Redskins (2-1) took to the field Friday night as underdogs to their Region 2(2A) rivals, Christian Academy of Knoxville (1-1).  The Redskins had home field advantage and something to prove – they were not going to let the critics be right.  By the end of the game, the Redskins had avenged their losses to CAK from last season with a 23-7 win.

    The Redskins took their opening possession from their own 26-yard line.  On the first play, Brandon Johnson found Keenan Hawkins for a one-yard gain.  Then Johnson found Lee Poynter on a slant for a first down at the 38-yard line. Wade Plemons came in at quarterback to keep the Warriors' defense on its heels and kept the ball as he picked up another Loudon first down.  D'Andre Miley picked up five yards on a carry and then, on second and five, Johnson found Matthew Wallace for a 39-yard touchdown.  The point after was blocked, but the Redskins were up 6-0.

    The defense stopped the Warriors short of the goal line on CAK's second series and Hawkins blocked a 41-yard field goal attempt.  Wallace recovered the ball for Loudon and took it out to the 45 but the offense couldn't get going and had to punt. The defense once again stepped up and forced a punt, which the Redskin special teams unit came down on hard.  The Redskins got what they wanted as the punter shanked it and netted a five-yard punt.

    The offense took advantage of the great field position, as Plemons came in to pick up a first down.  He then pitched to Wallace on the option for another Redskin first down.  Loudon marched down to the 11-yard line and Plemons kept the ball and took it into pay dirt.  Carlos Espinoza added the PAT and Loudon was up 13-0. Each team traded possessions after that, but it was the Big Red defense that got the best of the Warriors.  Richard Butkus had a big hit on Michael Fromke causing a fumble.  Luke Newman scooped up the ball and rumbled 30-yards for the TD.  Espinoza's point after was good and the Redskins were up 20-0 going into halftime. The third quarter was scoreless as each team traded punts.

    The fourth started with the Redskins getting the ball on a CAK punt.  Miley got the handoff on a second and seven from Loudon's own 27-yard line and took to the races.  He was eventually caught by the shirttail at the 23-yard line of the Warriors.  Tyler Barr carried the ball seven yards and Miley was able to pick up the first down.  The Redskins got a first and goal at the nine but kept going backwards.  Finally Espinzoa's 29-yard field goal was good and Loudon extended its lead to 23-0.

    With two minutes left to play the Redskins put in their second team defense, but the Warriors left in their starters.  So Fromke was able to find Taylor Moran for CAK's only TD.  Matthew Warren added the point after, but Loudon was still up 23-7. The Redskins got the ball back on the onside kick and ran the clock out for their second victory of the season. “The key to the win was a great team effort and the defense kept them from making big plays,” said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig after the game. CAK had 252 yards of total offense and the Redskins finished with 256. Loudon was led in rushing by Plemons with 19 carries for 101 yards.  Miley pitched in 41 yards on 13 carries.  Hawkins led in passing with four receptions for 51 yards.

    Loudon (2-1) travels to Greenback (2-0) next Friday to end the county rivalry for the 2008 season.

    Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.

    Redskins claim fourth straight win over Panthers
    Aug. 30, 2008
    by Dewey Morgan, Source: News-Herald

    Many things have changed in the past year, but there's one thing that has remained constant – Loudon's success against its intra-county rival. Two very different teams took the field Friday night, Loudon attempting to repeat a duo of strong seasons and Lenoir City trying to carry the momentum from its first win in 18 games. The end result, though, was the fourth straight Redskin victory over the Panthers – this time 30-7. The two teams were very competitive early, even entering halftime with Loudon hanging on to a 17-7 advantage.

    The Redskins were dominant in the final half, though, securing the victory yet again. “I thought our defense was the difference,” said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig. “I thought our secondary played well . . . and they were really trying to test us in the secondary.” As for the Panther side, Head Coach Mike Zeller spoke of a team that needed more improvement. “It was just one thing after another. Just a bad game all around,” he said.  “We had so many mental mistakes, I don't know where to start.” The game didn't start out so badly for the Panthers, though, as they gave the ball to Loudon to open the game and stopped the Class 2A school for a three and out. The Redskin defense stepped up and held the Class 4A offense to the same fate, though. After the trade of failed possessions, Loudon put together a drive that would dent the scoreboard. A 10-play, 55-yard drive that ate 5:42 off the clock culminated in a three yard run by Matthew Wallace for the touchdown. Most of the yardage was gained by starting tailback D'Andre Miley, though, as he accounted for all but 13 of the yards. After senior Carlos Espinoza nailed the extra point, Loudon held a 7-0 lead. The Panthers made sure their rival didn't pull too far ahead, though, as it took just three plays for LC to tie the game. After a couple of plays that lost three yards, senior QB Matt Gentry found an open Derek Pratt streaking across the field on a slant pattern. The junior grabbed the ball and blazed 69 yards to paydirt. Daniel Cook's PAT was true and the Panthers tied the game late in the first quarter.

    The Redskins came right back with an answer, as they put together an eight-play, 60-yard scoring drive. Helped by a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Lenoir City that turned a third down into a first, the Redskins capped their drive on a draw up the middle by backup quarterback Wade Plemons. The sophomore, who rotated with senior Brandon Johnson on a pre-planned basis, ran a draw up the middle  and had nothing but daylight for 21 yards. Asked about the QB rotation, Harig explained, “Wade gives us a dimension with the option game that Brandon does not.  We like the way Brandon manages the game and his demeanor in the huddle and Wade can come in and spell him and give us another dimension.” Espinoza once again drilled the extra point and Loudon held a 14-7 lead midway through the second. Neither offense found much footing against the opposing defense the remainder of the half, except for one last scoring drive by Loudon.

    After a series that saw Loudon fail on a fake punt and then Lenoir City giving the ball back on the next play due to a fumbled handoff, the Redskins tacked on three more points. A 43-yard Miley run set up the field goal attempt by Espinoza and, despite making things extremely interesting, the kicker converted the three-point play and the visitors headed to halftime up 10. Coming out of the break, the Panthers began to put together a successful drive and appeared to be near getting back in the game – before disaster struck in the form of a red and white clad Wallace. The junior stepped in front of a Gentry pass thrown to the right hashmark, caught it and raced 60 yards for a score that deflated the home crowd. Espinoza missed the PAT this time, leaving the score at 23-7. The next offensive drive for the Panthers saw the more mobile Cody Harvey enter the game at quarterback, and he produced a long drive.

    Under Harvey's leadership, the Panthers drove down to the Loudon 15 before the drive stalled. The Panthers attempted a fake field goal from there, but holder Brandon Rutherford was unable to find any room to run and was promptly taken down by a duo of Redskins. The LC defense held on the ensuing drive, forcing a Loudon punt.  Even then, though, bad luck struck the Panthers. Harvey fielded the punt from Keenan Hawkins and was leveled by a Redskin defender.  The ball sprung free and was recovered by Wallace, but Harvey was hurt. “He had a bad cramp there at the end,” said Zeller of Harvey.  “He was doing a lot of running.”

    Loudon turned that turnover into more points, as Johnson capped the drive with a one-yard sneak and Espinoza sealed the final score with his fourth PAT. Gentry finished the game 8 of 22 for 130 yards, a touchdown and an interception. Miley led the Loudon offense with 139 yards on 25 carries. The Redskin ground game carried the offense, gaining 218 yards total along with three TDs. Pratt finished the game for LC with 96 yards on three catches and a score.

    The Panthers (1-1) will remain at home Friday to face Powell while Loudon (1-1) returns to Dukes Field to face CAK.


    Redskins drop season opener to tough, 
    experienced McMinn Central squad

    by Dewey Morgan, Source: News-Herald

    Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig called his team a “work in progress” after Friday night's opening contest and it certainly showed.  The Redskins hosted McMinn Central in the season opener and fell into an early 34-0 hole before ultimately falling 34-13 on Dukes Field. The Wade Plemons-led Loudon offense (senior Brandon Johnson was still nursing a shoulder separation) took the ball on the opening drive, but quickly punted after a three and out.  A very short punt by Keenan Hawkins gave the ball to McMinn Central at the Loudon 33 and the Chargers capitalized on the good field position.

    The Redskin defense didn't make things easy for the Class 3A squad, though, as the Chargers ran 10 plays and ticked 6:17 off the clock before scoring.  The lengthy drive finally culminated in a score when McMinn Central's Josh Moss took a handoff and beat the Loudon defense to the right edge for a 10-yard score.  Jamon Godfrey's extra point was true and the Chargers took the early 7-0 lead. Loudon came out firing on the second drive, as Plemons connected with Hawkins 33 yards downfield on the first play.  From the visitors' 41 yard line, Plemons then scrambled 11 yards for another first down to the McMinn Central 30.  The drive stalled from there, though, as Loudon only moved backwards and was forced to punt.

    The Chargers once again put together a touchdown drive, but yet again the Loudon defense made life difficult on the way.  It took the visitors 12 plays to score, and they were helped along the way by a Redskin roughing the punter halfway through. The Chargers accumulated three first downs as they matriculated their way down the field, but gained a chunk of 35 yards on one play when Aaron Walker took a reverse and streaked 25 yards downfield.  A face mask penalty on Loudon marched the ball another 10 yards across the grass and set the visitors up with a first down on Loudon's seven. One play later, Branden Simpson took the handoff to the left and fought his way to paydirt.  Godfrey barely crept the kick over the crossbar and the Chargers saw their lead grow to 14-0 midway through the second quarter.

    The Redskin offense showed some life again on their third drive, as a Plemons to Matthew Wallace connection earned them their third first down of the game.  The drive appeared to be over once the Redskins drove to the McMinn Central 45 and were faced with a fourth down, but Harig took a chance.  On fourth and seven, the punt team came on but the snap went directly to Plemons, the upback on the play.  He was tackled for no gain, apparently ending the drive again, but a personal foul face mask was called on the visitors, setting Loudon up with a fresh set of downs on the Charger 30.

    The Redskins couldn't do anything with the new life, though, running into a three and out and punting. The Chargers enjoyed their first short drive of the game, moving 82 yards in just six plays for the third score of the contest. The final scoring drive of the first half was culminated when quarterback Zac Rayl hooked up with receiver Jarrel Harrison for a 70-yard score.  Godfrey once again made the extra point interesting, but nailed it to send the game to halftime with the Chargers up 21-0.

    Some confusion opened up the second half, as the Redskins received the ball once again to open the half – despite getting it to start the game as well.  As it turned out, the Chargers chose to kick on the opening coin flip, instead of choosing to defer.  Therefore, the decision was left up to Harig in the second half and he chose to receive. It didn't turn our well for Loudon anyway, though, as the kickoff was fumbled and the Chargers fell on the loose pigskin. This miscue led to a six-play, 17-yard scoring drive by McMinn Central, capped off by a three-yard scamper by Maury Ragland.  Godfrey continued to flirt with the goalposts, but made the PAT to extend the advantage to 28-0. The Redskin offense continued to find problems putting a drive together, and punted after a quick three and out.

    The Loudon defense, though, continued its strong play forcing the Chargers into a punt formation after a three and out.  The Chargers, though, ran a fake of their own and it succeeded this time.  Rayl took the direct snap and burst through the middle of the line for 32 yards and a first down.  Two plays later, the Chargers moved the final five yards for the touchdown as Walker punched it in.  Godfrey, playing with fire all night, finally missed an extra point to keep the score at 34-0.

    The Loudon offense finally began its progression on the next drive.  Starting from his own 20, tailback D'Andre Miley ended a game of frustrations with a 38-yard bolt out to the McMinn Central 42.  The senior was hit late by the Chargers' Shane Moses for one personal foul penalty, and then the referees charged another one to Moses, apparently for arguing after the play was over.

    The duo of penalties moved the ball all the way down to the visitors' 12 and Miley took the handoff on the next play around the left side and into the end zone.  Carlos Espinoza tacked on the PAT and Loudon moved within 34-7. The Chargers continued to implode on their next drive, giving the ball back to Loudon after a three and out.  Hawkins got the Loudon fans on their feet once more on the punt, returning it 17 yards to the Charger 35. Miley continued to carry the offensive load, turning a third and 12 into a first down with a 15-yard scamper before Plemons found Hawkins on the left sideline for 10 yards and a first down. The Redskins appeared ready to cut the deficit to 21 after a Matthew Wallace run put the ball at the one, but the Charger defense held strong and forced the Redskins to turn the ball over on downs.

    The McMinn Central offense continued to sputter, though, as the Redskin defense stuffed two straight run plays and then forced a turnover.  On third and 10 from the one, Rayl dropped to pass and was forced to step up in the pocket.  From there, he tried to fire the ball across the middle, but a Loudon lineman got his hand on the ball and the duck fell right into the hands of Jordan Purdy. The Redskin linebacker took the ball to the one, but failed to cross the goalline.  The Loudon offense did eventually break the line, though, as Plemons snuck in from a yard out to cement the final score.

    After the game, Harig said he felt overall the defense “didn't play bad,” but that the team still had some growing to do.  “We had kids in position to make plays.  When we learn to make those plays, we'll have a chance at success this year. The coach added, “Our challenge as players and coaches is to keep striving to get better.” They'll have to find a way to get better quick, though, as a potentially improved Lenoir City Panther team awaits them Friday night for the annual “Battle of the Bridge.”  Harig said he didn't think this loss would impact his team negatively for the upcoming pivotal contest.  “I think it only gives us confidence.  For us to come out and compete the way we did in the second half and not give up – I think it shows we have character.” The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. in Lenoir City.

    Jamborees kick off high school football season
    Aug. 15, 2008
    by Dewey Morgan, Source: News-Herald

    The 2008 high school football season kicked off for all three Loudon County football teams Friday night as, all across Tennessee, teams took part in their preseason jamborees. Greenback visited Heritage High School and faced off with William Blount. Behind touchdowns by senior quarterback Bunkie Vanskiver and fellow senior receiver Chris Sabo, the 'Kees chopped down the much larger Class 5A Governors 13-7. "To come out and play like this, I think, will give us a lot of confidence," said Greenback Head Coach Brent Kilpatrick. The Redskins hosted their own jamboree and took on Tellico. 
    Both teams struggled to find consistent offense and the quarter ended in a scoreless tie.  "Good night, good weather, good crowd, nobody got hurt, and the kids played hard," said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig. 
    Taking part in the jamboree at Loudon, Lenoir City faced off with Polk County. The Panthers ran six offensive plays on the way to a  7-0 defeat. 
    "We've got to fix some things and get better," said Lenoir City Head Coach Mike Zeller. The 'Kees will take Week 0 off before heading to Hancock County Aug. 29. Loudon will open its home slate with a contest against McMinn Central and Lenoir City will hit the road for a date with Karns. All games are scheduled to start at 7 p.m.



RedskinsQuarterback ClubCricketsHoppers • MustangsIndians

 Copyright © 2001 - 2010 All rights reserved.
This site was last updated on July 13, 2010