RedskinsQuarterback ClubCricketsHoppers • MustangsIndians
You are located here:

Home > Redskins

    2007 Season Headlines

    McNew's TD helps Loudon avoid shutout against Alcoa 
    By: Dewey Morgan 

    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 

    A one-yard touchdown run by senior quarterback Blake McNew late in the fourth kept the Redskins from suffering their first shutout of the season Friday night as they fell to Region 2(2A) champion Alcoa 42-6 in Loudon on senior night. The Redskins were without speedy tailback D'Andre Miley – who aggravated a knee injury during warm-ups - and senior starting running back Tyler Campbell was hobbled with an ankle injury. “Any time you play a team like this you want a spark, you want something that's going to give you hope and give you something to believe in. Without our two big-play guys, you lose hope and you've got to do it the hard way – and that means mash them,” said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig. The Redskins did mash the Tornadoes as Tyler Barr rushed 19 times for 135 yards. He had long runs of 42 and 39 yards. As a team, the Redskins ran the ball 38 of their 54 total plays.

    The speed of Alcoa was just too much, though, as quarterback Randall Cobb needed just four carries to eclipse the century mark rushing. The Tornadoes also victimized the Loudon secondary, when Cobb hooked up with Sam Thompson on two deep completions down the sideline. The first went for a 50-yard touchdown and the second was a 42-yard strike. “The bottom line is, you can't simulate the speed they can put on you,” Harig said. The opening drive for the Redskins began well as Campbell took the ball three straight times, gaining 21 yards. He fumbled the fourth handoff, though, putting the Redskins in a third and long they couldn't overcome. After the punt, it took Alcoa just four plays to find the end zone.

    Cobb ran the ball twice for 37 yards and tailback Troy Hodge ran once for 12 yards and punched the ball in from seven yards away on his second carry. Derek Brotus nailed the PAT and Alcoa led early 7-0. The next Loudon drive wasn't nearly as successful, as the only play of the three and out that went for positive yardage was a Barr three-yard run.

    Three plays later, the Tornadoes were in the end zone again courtesy of the 50-yard Cobb to Thompson hookup. Brotus again was true on the point after to extend the lead to 14-0. The Redskins finally put together a sustained drive, running 11 plays and eating 5:29 from the clock, but ultimately punted early in the second quarter. On the first play of the next drive, Cobb faked a handoff to Hodge and flew through a hole on the right side 74 yards to paydirt. Brotus again hit the PAT to make the Alcoa lead 21-0. After Loudon ate three more minutes off the clock, the Tornadoes found the end zone again. Following a Loudon punt, the visiting offense strung together seven plays that spanned 75 yards before Cobb rolled to his left and found tight end Tyler Robinson in the end zone for the score. Brotus remained perfect on the night in extra points, extending the advantage to 28-0 with 4:46 to play in the half.

    The final drive of the half for Loudon was the closest it would come to the goal in the opening half. Inspired by a 35-yard completion from McNew to Matthew Wallace, the Redskin offense moved to the Alcoa 27, but a trick play backfired on third and 10. With just over a minute left in the half, Keenan Hawkins received the pitch on a reversed end around and launched the ball deep, just to have it picked off at the two-yard line. The Tornadoes ran out the clock from there to send the game into halftime with the 28-point margin.

    The visitors took the ball out of the break and again, marched right down the field. A four-play, 71-yard drive was capped when Cobb hit Thompson 11 yards downfield for the quick TD. Brotus' extra point put Alcoa up 35-0 and triggered the mercy rule – marking the first time the Redskins were on the wrong side of the new rule this season.

    With the clock continuously running, neither team had many possessions, but both found paydirt. The first score was a 76-yard TD run by Alcoa's Jaron Toney with just under 10 minutes left in the game. Brotus' PAT put the visitors up 42-0. The Redskins avoided the shutout on the next drive as they moved 74 yards in nine plays. Barr opened the possession bouncing a run to the outside and racing 39 yards down the right sideline. The Tornadoes forced Loudon into a fourth and six situation, but a McNew pass forced a pass interference call on Alcoa, setting up first and 10 from the visiting 16. Three plays later from the one, McNew faked a handoff to Barr and shot left through a hole and into the end zone. Carlos Espinoza's PAT strayed wide left, though, to seal the final score. Cobb finished the game completing six of his seven passes for 141 yards and three scores. He also rushed seven times for 107 yards and a TD.

    Hodge got eight touches for 68 yards and a score. Thompson caught four balls for 111 yards and two scores. McNew connected on nine of his 15 attempts for 95 yards. He also carried the ball seven times for four yards and a TD. Campbell gained 25 yards on 11 carries. Both were playing their final regular season game at Dukes Field. The Tornadoes outgained Loudon's offense 447 total yards to 259 total yards. As a team Alcoa rushed for 306 yards and passed for 141. The Loudon ground game churned out 164 yards and the passing game added 95. With the loss and a CAK victory over Rockwood, the Redskins (8-2, 4-2) enter the playoffs as their region's three seed. Their first round game will be Friday night at CAK.


    Behind 27 unanswered points
    By: Brittany Davis 
    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 

    Overcoming a slow start in Chattanooga, Loudon posted 27 unanswered points Friday night to defeat the final non-regional foe of the season, Boyd Buchanan, 27-7. The Redskins went three and out on their first two offensive possessions before Boyd Buchanan got the scoring going. With 5:11 to go in the first quarter, Taylor Gilley went 44 yards on second down to the endzone to pick up six. McCord Bowen connected on the PAT to give Boyd Buchanan the early 7-0 lead.

    The Redskins got the ball back and Blake McNew used his arm to help get their offense going. D'Andre Miley took the first carry of the drive six yards and McNew followed it up by finding Grant Gasper for the first down at the Loudon 35. Once again McNew went to Gasper for the first down grab at the Buccaneer 48. The southpaw then went to Matthew Wallace for a first down at the one-yard line.

    It took two tries for McNew to get the ball into the endzone, but Loudon answered Boyd Buchanan. Carlos Espinoza added the point after to tie the game at seven. The Buccaneers weren't able to score on their next drive as they were hindered by a penalty that forced them to punt. Loudon came back with another score on its first drive of the second quarter. The Redskins picked up a quick first down as McNew took the ball on the quarterback draw. Then Loudon shot itself in the foot, as the Redskins picked up two penalties to start first and 24 on their own 25. Boyd Buchanan bailed Loudon out as the hosts committed a pass interference penalty to give the visitors 15 yards and a first down. McNew took the snap on the next play and ran with it to pick up another Redskin first down, but the drive stalled and Loudon had to line up to punt a few plays later.

    All was set and the Buccaneers went all out for the block, but the snap went to McNew and he picked up the first down and more as he was brought down at the Boyd Buchanan 29. Miley was called upon and, on his last carry, went four yards for the TD. Espinoza added the point after and the Redskins took the lead for good at 14-7. On the following drive, Ben Curtis got a huge interception on the seven-yard line to end the Buccaneer drive and save a touchdown for the Redskins going into halftime.

    The third quarter was a trade off between Loudon and Boyd Buchanan, but the Redskins got the advantage in the end. It all got started with Jake Kleinschmidt blocking a punt for Loudon and giving the ball to the offense on the Buccaneers 15 yard line. Miley rushed twice for 14 yards before Tyler Barr went into paydirt from the one. The PAT was blocked but Loudon was up 20-7.

    Each team traded possessions in the fourth quarter, before the Redskins tacked on their final score. The Loudon drive started at the Boyd Buchanan 41 yard line with Barr picking up six yards on three downs. An offside penalty didn't slow down the offensive attack as McNew came back on fourth and seven to find Wallace for the first down at the 11. After a loss of three, McNew went in for six on the quarterback draw. Espinoza added the extra point and the Redskins sealed the final score. In an odd turn Loudon's leading rusher was its quarterback as McNew rushed for 77 yards on 14 carries. Miley followed with 57 yards on 14 carries and Barr had 33 on 12 rushes.

    Loudon (8-1, 4-1) gets possibly its biggest test of the season Friday in a playoff warmup. The Redskins will host region rival and defending state champion Alcoa.

    Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.


    Redskin defense dominant in 30-6 victory over Wartburg 
    By: Dewey Morgan 
    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 


    The Loudon defense shined Friday night, allowing only 63 total yards of offense to Wartburg in a 30-6 Homecoming victory. With the win, the Redskins guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs. “We knew going in that we had the advantage defensively,” said Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig after the game. “I thought our defensive kids stepped up and were prepared to play. There's going to be some games the rest of this year against some quality opponents that we're going to have to defend the same way.” He added that clinching the playoff spot was “very important,” but added, “After we beat Rockwood, we felt confident that was going to get us into the playoffs.” The Redskins got off to a quick start, holding Wartburg to a three and out on the Bulldogs' first possession and then moving down to score. After the Scottie Phillips punt put the Redskins at their own 27, the Loudon offense found the end zone in three plays.

    A D'Andre Miley three-yard run and then an incomplete Blake McNew pass set up a screen to Miley on the left hashmark. Miley dodged defenders to the right side of the field and then raced 70 yards to the end zone. Carlos Espinoza's extra point was good and the Redskins led 7-0 with 9:30 left in the first. Loudon put together a couple of long drives the remainder of the quarter and into the second, but didn't find the end zone again until late in the second. Harig said he felt his team had some problems focusing early on. “We've got to be more focused and more mature than that. A lot of things go on for homecoming week and the fact that you're playing a team that hasn't won a game yet, all that came into one and that's just not where you want to be.”

    The focus began to come back for the Redskins with just over five minutes to play in the half when, after a bad snap put Wartburg back to its own 20 and set up fourth and 20, a second bad snap past Phillips went into the end zone for a safety to put Loudon up 9-0. On the ensuing kick, Ben Everett picked up a squibber at his own 35 and broke a 65-yard touchdown return down the left sideline. Espinoza nailed the PAT and the Redskin lead extended to 16-0. The first play of the Bulldogs' next drive was an attempted pass by Geoffrey Bangley that was picked off by Keenan Hawkins.

    The Redskins took over at the Wartburg 40 and, nine plays later, Miley punched in his second TD of the night – this one on the ground. Espinoza again nailed the extra point and the hosts led 23-0 heading into halftime. The Loudon defense held the Bulldogs to negative yards of total offense in the first half, allowing negative 13 yards rushing and only 10 yards through the air. The defensive struggle continued into the second half as neither team found the end zone in the third quarter. The teams traded three and outs to start the period, and then both failed to score on sustained drives. The final score of the night for the Redskins came on their opening drive of the fourth quarter. Miley was the catalyst of the drive, touching the ball on six of the nine plays and gaining 34 of the 60 yards. The junior punched the ball in from two yards out and, after another Espinoza extra point, the Redskins led 30-0.

    The Bulldogs finally climbed out of negative numbers on the ground on the next drive as Phillips broke a 57-yard run down to the Loudon four on the second play of the drive. Two plays later, Phillips swept left and into the end zone to end the Redskin shutout hopes and seal the final score. The Redskins finished the game with 207 yards on the ground, 127 of them coming from Miley. McNew finished the game completing half of his 14 passes for 128 yards and a touchdown. The Loudon defense kept Bangley from completing any of his four passes and held his backup, Tyler Trout, to two completions in five attempts for 21 yards. Bangley also had negative 33 yards rushing. Phillips finished the game with 66 yards rushing and a TD. The Redskins (7-1, 4-1) hit the road for the final time in the regular season Friday night when they travel to Chattanooga to face Boyd Buchanan. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.


    Scoring plays pay off big for Loudon
    News Sentinel staff 
    Saturday, October 13, 2007


    Loudon High School turned big plays into a big victory Friday night. D'Andre Miley rushed for three touchdowns and Blake McNew threw two scoring passes in the Redskins' 49-8 Region 2-2A victory over Oliver Springs. Miley's longest scoring run covered 64 yards for Loudon (6-1, 3-1 Region 2-2A). McNew's eight completions resulted in 202 passing yards. The two TD passes were a 61-yarder to Ben Everett and 44 yards to Gant Gasper. Gasper also scored on a 31-yard run. Jonathan Thornton returned a kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown for Oliver Springs (1-6, 0-3)
    © 2007, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.


    Everett and Miley Nominated for 
    Defensive and Offensive players of the week

    By Jesse Smithey
    Sunday, October 7, 2007


    If 200 yards is the new benchmark for a great offensive performance, then this week's ball-toting nominees for PrepXtra Player of the Week placed themselves in that category.

    Farragut High School running back Andre Sterling, Oak Ridge running back Jared Stephens, Catholic wideout Ryan Walden and Loudon running back D'Andre Miley each surpassed 200 yards of production, and some challenged 300.

    The four nominees for defensive player of the week were: Ben Williford (Rutledge), Alex Roberts (Kingston), Alex Goltry (Bearden) and Ben Everett (Loudon).

    Fans may vote for their choices online at The winners - the fans' and PrepXtra pros' picks - will be announced on WBIR's 11 p.m. Thursday telecast and in the PrepXtra section of Friday's Knoxville News Sentinel.

    Sterling topped 200 yards for the fourth time in six games this season, rushing for 289 yards Friday night and three touchdowns in a 36-35 win at William Blount.

    Stephens rang up 200 yards for the third time in six games, actually running for 308 yards and four touchdowns against McMinn County Friday.

    Miley notched his season's first 200-yarder with a 214-yard, two-touchdown night against Rockwood.

    And Walden caught six passes for 203 yards and a touchdown in Catholic's win against Anderson County - and on a night when the Irish's run attack was far from par.

    Williford helped Rutledge blank Gibbs with 10 tackles. Everett made 15 tackles - three for loss - and had three quarterback hurries against Rockwood. Goltry was part of Bearden's defensive stand against Science Hill, limiting the Hilltoppers to 57 yards of total offense. Goltry had six tackles, three of which were for loss. And Roberts' 10 tackles and a fumble recovery helped Kingston pitch a shutout against Stone Memorial.

    © 2007, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.


    Strong second half performance
    By: Brittany Davis 
    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 


    The Loudon Redskins took to the road Friday night to take on the Sweetwater Wildcats.

    The game started out with a lack luster first half with Sweetwater leading 7-6 at the half, but the second half of the game saw a total turn around with Loudon out doing the Wildcats in every aspect of the game.

    Loudon picked up its first 2A win of the season 30-13 over Sweetwater.

    The first quarter saw each team trading out possessions and it wasn't until the second quarter that each offense found pay dirt.

    On its first offensive series of the game, Loudon's first pass was picked off by Sweetwater's Chris Johnkins. The Redskin defense stepped up and kept the Wildcats in check by making Sweetwater punt.

    After that the action was back and forth, but neither team was able to score.

    The Wildcats were the first to put points on the board. They got the ball on their own 40-yard line with 2:25 left to go in the first quarter. Mitchell Ferguson and Craig Latham saw the first carries of Sweetwater's possession. The Wildcats got the ball down to the 13-yard line with Latham picking up the first down. Latham got the call again to take the ball down to the seven. Then, on second and four, Tyler Richesin found Johnkins for the TD. Ross Houston's point after was good and with 10:50 to go in the second quarter Sweetwater had the lead, 7-0.

    On Loudon's next series, the Redskins had two very costly penalties giving them a first and 37. The Redskins never recovered the yardage and had to punt.

    The defense for Loudon stepped up again, though, and was able to cause a Wildcat fumble that Aaron Anderson picked up and took to the Sweetwater 32.

    From there the offense found a rhythm with D'Andre Miley, who paved the way for Tyler Campbell's five-yard TD. The PAT was no good, but the Redskins cut the lead to one at 7-6 to end the quarter.

    The Redskins came out in the third quarter with a new swagger as, on their first possession of the quarter, Blake McNew found Grant Gasper for a 55-yard touchdown. Carlos Espinoza added the extra point to give Loudon the lead, 13-7.

    Each team fumbled in the next two offensive series, but Sweetwater was able to hang on to Loudon's fumble. In the end Lantham took it 58 yards to pay dirt. The PAT was no good and the game was tied at 13.

    That was enough for the Redskins as, on the kickoff, Campbell took off from the 20 and went 80 yards for the score. Espinoza once again connected on the point after and Loudon was up 20-13.

    With the lead, the Redskin special teams hit the field for the kickoff, Sweetwater muffed the kick and Loudon recovered at the Wildcat 33.

    Miley got the call on first down and went 23 yards for first and goal. Loudon couldn't punch it in for the touchdown, but Espinoza hit a 21-yard field goal to put more points on the board for the Redskins. They were up 23-13 heading into the fourth quarter.

    Neither team was able to get going to start the fourth, but Loudon was the first to score at the 6:17 mark with Matthew Wallace returning an interception 55 yards for the TD. Espinoza added the point after and the Redskins had the lead 30-13.

    Sweetwater had one more opportunity to try to add points to the board, but that all ended when Gasper got an interception to close out any Wildcat threat.

    The Redskins ran out the clock and got their first region win 30-13. The Redskins were led by Miley with 105 yards on 13 rushes. McNew went three of six for 62 yards with one INT.

    The Redskins (4-1, 1-1) have a bye week Friday before traveling to Rockwood on Oct. 5.


    Early lead allows Loudon to cruise late in win over ‘Kees 
    By: De
    wey Morgan 
    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 


    Among the hazy mist of cannon fire, Loudon completed the sweep of county opponents with a 49-14 win over Greenback at Dukes Field. The celebratory cannon Redskin faithful shoot off after a home touchdown saw plenty of work as the hosts took a 35-0 lead after the opening quarter and cruised from there as they handed the Cherokees their first loss of the year. Greenback opened the game with an onside kick attempt, but the Redskins fell on the ball at their own 39. Two plays later, tailback D'Andre Miley rushed 55 yards to paydirt to put the hosts up. Carlos Espinoza nailed the point after and 27 seconds into the game Loudon led 7-0. The ‘Kees failed to gain a yard on the ensuing possession and punted the ball back to the Redskins. Tyler Campbell broke through Greenback tacklers to the endzone on the return, but it was called back due to a block in the back. The Redskin offense was undaunted as four plays later they found the end zone again from the Greenback 16. This time, quarterback Blake McNew threw a swing pass to Grant Gasper on the right hashmark and the senior raced 16 yards for the score. Espinoza again added the PAT and the hosts led 14-0. Things continued going Loudon's way on the next possession as Greenback's Cody Knight fumbled the kickoff and the Redskins recovered on the Cherokee 15. It took just one play for Tyler Campbell to take his first carry of the night to the house and, after Espinoza's kick, give Loudon a 21-0 advantage.

    The struggles continued for Greenback on the next possession as Shawn Petty picked up three yards on the first play, but quarterback Bunkie Vanskiver threw his first of three interceptions on the next play. From his own 35, Vanskiver fired a pass to the right hashmark that was bobbled between two Cherokee receivers. The ball bounced behind them and Campbell came away with the interception. He raced in between defenders, reached the left sideline and raced 42 yards to paydirt. Espinoza added another PAT and the host lead was 28.

    The first extended possession of the evening for Greenback came with 6:24 remaining in the quarter. The visitors moved 58 yards in 12 plays, primarily behind passes from Vanskiver to Chase Vogt. The QB hooked up with his receiver four times on the drive for 55 yards. Once the Cherokees got to the host 11, though, another turnover killed the drive. Vanskiver dropped to pass, but Jake Kleinschmidt intercepted his pass and returned the ball back to the Loudon 11. McNew's first pass on the ensuing drive was incomplete, but Loudon went back to the successful ground game and again found the end zone. With 11 second remaining in the quarter, Campbell took the handoff on a sweep right and took off down the sideline for an 89-yard TD run. Espinoza capped the opening period scoring with an extra point that put the Redskins up 35-0. The hosts scored again on the next drive behind the feet of Tyler Barr. The tailback carried the ball on two of the drive's three plays, gaining 44 yards on his first carry and punching the ball in from a yard out on his second. Espinoza's point after gave Loudon a 42-point lead. Greenback finally found the end zone on the ensuing possession. Vanskiver began the drive with a six-yard swing pass to Vogt, moving the ball to the visitors' 36. From there, Vanskiver hit Ernie Stinnett in the flat on the left side and Stinnett raced down the sideline for the score. Greenback Head Coach Brent Kilpatrick chose to go for two, and Vanskiver found Vogt on a slant pattern on the goal line to cut the Loudon advantage to 42-8.

    The final score of the half came in the last seconds as the Redskin offense drove the ball to the Greenback six with three seconds remaining. McNew found Gregory Vaught slanting across the middle of the end zone and Espinoza's point after gave the hosts a 41-point advantage at the half. The mercy rule was implemented through the second half, limiting the possessions and scoring opportunities for each team. Greenback managed the only score of the second half after recovering a Zach Franklin fumble. Beginning from the Loudon 47, the Cherokees orchestrated a five-play, 53-yard scoring drive capped by a Vanskiver pass to Cody Lane on a slant pattern from the 26-yard line. The conversion attempt failed as Vanskiver's pass sailed past the covered receiver, sealing the final score.

    After the game, Kilpatrick said “apparently we weren't prepared to play tonight,” and took responsibility for his team “coming out, playing flat and making mistakes.” Kilpatrick said it was “apparent our intensity level wasn't what it needed to be” in the first half, but told his team he was proud of improved effort in the second half. The coach said of his quarterback, “Bunkie stayed in and made some good throws.” Also of the team's leading receiver, Vogt, “Chase found some open spots in the zone.” Kilpatrick was unsure exactly how a loss of this type would affect his team, but said, “We're going to coach them hard. They better respond.” Vanskiver finished the game completing 10 of 23 passes for 157 yards. He tossed two touchdowns and three interceptions. Vogt caught six balls for 66 yards and Stinnett grabbed two for 64 yards and a touchdown. McNew was successful on three of his four passes for 30 yards and two touchdowns. Campbell rushed twice for 104 yards and two touchdowns. The Redskins finished the game with 324 yards on the ground. Loudon (3-1, 0-1) travels to Sweetwater Friday for a region matchup while Greenback (2-1, 1-0) returns home to face Harriman. Both games are scheduled for 7:30 p.m.


    CAK hands Loudon first loss, 38-21 
    By: Brittany Davis 
    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 

    The Loudon Redskins traveled to Knoxville to take on the Warriors of CAK Friday night. It was a classic battle with each team trying to answer the other. In the end Loudon came up short 38-21. Tyler Campbell was a bright spot for the Redskins with three touchdowns and 45 yards rushing. D'Andre Miley also added 42 yards on the ground. The first quarter started with each team testing the water, as neither team was able to score. CAK struck first as they took the ball from the LHS 20 yard line. On second down and 10 after collecting a first down on a Redskin penalty, Keenan Kolinsky went 58 yards to put the Warriors on the Loudon 12 yard line.

    From there Kolinsky picked up five more yards to put CAK on the seven. Chris Cates then found Joseph Bennett for the TD. Matthew Warren tacked on the point after to give the Warriors the early lead, 7-0. The Redskins couldn't get their offense going at the end of the quarter and had to punt. The punt was tipped and CAK got excellent field position at the Loudon 26 yard line. The Warriors took only 18 seconds to find pay dirt as Kolinsky added another touchdown. Warren tacked on the PAT and Loudon found itself down 14-0.

    The visitors finally got going on defense after their first offensive series of the second quarter came up short. On first and 10, Bo Harrison sacked CAK's Cates for a seven-yard loss. Ben Curtis was then able to knock away a Warrior pass, forcing the hosts into a third and long situation. On third and 17 Ben Everett laid a big hit on Kolinsky to force CAK to punt. Campbell returned the punt to CAK's 25-yard line. From there the Redskins were forced into a fourth and 14, but Blake McNew found Ben Curtis on a slant to pick up the first down on the 11. Campbell then carried for four yards, then for the seven-yard touchdown. Carlos Espinoza added the point after and the Redskins closed the gap to 14-7.

    The Warriors had an answer though. Behind Cates, CAK was able to march downfield. Cates found Bill High for the 15 yard TD and Warren tacked on the PAT to give the Warriors a 21-7 advantage at the half. The Redskins came out of the locker room with a mission. Loudon got the ball on its own 24-yard line. McNew found Keenan Hawkins who took the ball all the way to CAK's 39 and, on the following play, Miley picked up three yards for LHS. Then, Tyler Barr took the ball down to the three-yard line. Campbell got the nod and took the ball into the end zone, Espinoza added the point after and the Redskins were coming back, 21-14. The Warriors had an answer for the Redskins, though, as Cates found Bennett for a 34-yard gain. Cates then found Jordan Cross for the 31-yard TD. Warren's PAT was good as CAK stretched its lead to 28-14.

    Loudon's Miley answered right back as he took the kickoff down to the Warrior's nine-yard line. McNew then pitched the ball to Campbell for a nine-yard touchdown. Espinoza added the extra point and the Redskins were once again within seven at 28-21. The Warriors added another score to end the third quarter, as Cates found Jay Scott for a 23-yard TD pass. Warren remained perfect on PAT's as CAK went up 35-21. In the fourth quarter both teams exchanged possessions without adding any points to the board, until CAK was able to put three points up on a Warren 25-yard field goal with three minutes to go. The Redskins had a chance to make a run at CAK as Richard Butkus recovered a Warrior fumble. The Loudon offense wasn't able to collect on the turnover, instead they fumbled to give it back to CAK. The Warriors kept the ball to run out the clock and seal a 38-21 victory. The Redskins (2-1) return home Friday when they host county rival Greenback. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.


    Redskins win third straight over Panthers with scoring flurry 
    By: Dewey Morgan 

    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 


    A flurry of third quarter points sealed the third consecutive win for Loudon in the “Battle of the Bridge” at Chig Ratledge Stadium Friday night. With Loudon leading 14-0 coming out of halftime, Lenoir City's Coty Edwards took the opening handoff and raced 80 yards to cut the Redskin lead in half. Loudon answered right back, though, scoring 19 unanswered points the remainder of the quarter to clinch a 40-7 win over the Panthers. Redskin junior tailback Tyler Campbell, in his first game of the season after recovering from an ankle injury, provided 14 of those points on runs of 38 yards and 52 yards. Campbell finished the day with 176 yards on 13 carries and three touchdowns. “He's our spark,” Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig said of the junior. “Anytime that kind of guy gets back, it really helps the team.”

    The ground game was good all night for Loudon, as the Redskins piled up 353 yards on the ground. D'Andre Miley contributed 93 of those, on 18 carries. The junior also added a touchdown on the opening kickoff of the game. He received the ball on his own 18, took it up the middle and then burst to the right sideline for an 82-yard score. “Wow,” said Harig of Miley's return, “That's just D'Andre right there. It was a great return and a great way to start the game.” Lenoir City Head Coach Nick White said the return was a blow to his team's confidence. “We knew we would have to survive through the emotion. I'd hoped we could get through the first five to 10 minutes without a big play.”

    The Panther defense didn't allow any more points to Loudon until the end of the quarter. Lenoir City's offense had trouble moving the ball on the Redskin defense too. The Panthers were held to a three and out after the return. After Lenoir City's punt, the Redskins held the ball at the visitors' 45. An incomplete pass by quarterback Blake McNew was followed by 36 yards worth of runs by Miley and Campbell to put the ball at the Panther nine.

    The visiting defense stepped up and held Loudon to a field goal attempt, which kicker Carlos Espinoza missed off the top of the right goal post. Espinoza missed two field goals throughout the evening, but Harig supported his junior kicker. “He's going to be an important asset to our team in the future, so we want him to get a lot of work.” After the missed field goal, the Panther offense took over at their own 20. After two runs for six yards, quarterback Ben Satterfield found Jacob Bright on a screen pass for 10 yards. With less than seven minutes remaining in the first quarter, the visitors picked up their initial first down of the evening.

    The Redskin defense held firm from there, forcing a Lenoir City punt on fourth and 14 from its own 30. A very short punt gave the hosts possession on the Panther 42, setting up the first scoring drive of the night. The Redskins ran eight plays, covering 42 yards, including gains of 12 and 19 by Miley and Campbell respectively. Campbell capped off the drive with a six-yard run over the left tackle to put the hosts up 14-0 just before the first quarter ended. After a Lenoir City punt opened the second quarter, the Redskins began their third offensive drive of the game from their own 48. The drive marked the first time the ball was in Redskin territory in the game. Neither team found the end zone in the second half as two of Lenoir City's possessions resulted in a three and out and Espinoza missed his second field goal of the evening for the hosts.





    The biggest threat of the half by the visitors came near the end of the second quarter. On third and 13 from the Lenoir City 39, Harig attempted a reverse. McNew handed the ball off to Ben Everett, who then gave it to Keenan Hawkins. Hawkins, though, fumbled the exchange and the Panthers recovered the ball on their own 47 with 54 seconds left before halftime.

    The first play of the half was an incomplete pass as Satterfield overthrew the intended receiver. The senior found a groove from there, though, connecting with Bright for seven yards and then hitting Derrick Pratt across the middle for 16 yards to the Redskin 30. Satterfield quickly spiked the ball, leaving 37 seconds on the clock. On the ensuing play, Satterfield was sacked, making the drive look bleak. Following a timeout, though, the senior found Michael Goodman on a slant pattern across the middle and the receiver took the ball 30 yards downfield to the host 10.

    On first and goal, Satterfield attempted to scramble into the endzone, but was stuffed at the five. A quick spike stopped the clock with three seconds remaining, but the ensuing play resulted in a sack and the clock ran out on the Panthers' drive.

    White said of the late drive, “The confidence kind of got going and we started making some plays.”

    That confidence seemed to carry over after the break as, after Espinoza kicked the ball into the end zone, Edwards streaked 80 yards for the only Panther score of the game.

    The Redskins pulled away from there, though, as Campbell found the end zone twice in the quarter and McNew ran in once from 22 yards away to give the hosts a 33-7 advantage heading to the final period. Loudon scored once more in the fourth with eight minutes to go.

    After a four play, 62-yard drive, the hosts held the ball at the Panther nine. McNew took the snap on third and six, rolled left and found fellow senior Ben Everett in the end zone for a touchdown to seal the final score.

    After the game, White said his team seemed to relax after the touchdown and added, “We have to learn that people aren't going to back down just because we score.”

    Coty Edwards led the visitors in rushing with 87 yards and a touchdown. T.J. Cratty tacked on 23 more yards.

    Both teams hit the road this week, with the Redskins (2-0) heading to CAK and Lenoir City (0-2) visiting Powell. Both games are set to begin at 7:30 p.m.


    Redskins charge to opening win over McMinn Central
    By: Dewey Morgan 
    Source: Loudon County News-Herald 


    Without the services of starting tailback Tyler Campbell due to an ankle injury, the Redskin running game showed no signs of slowing. Junior D'Andre Miley, helped by touchdown runs of 36 and 85, finished the game with 182 yards on 13 carries and two touchdowns. Fellow junior Tyler Barr chipped in 70 yards on 13 carries with one rushing TD and one passing touchdown.

    Loudon Head Coach Jeff Harig said he wasn't surprised to see the running game do so well even in the absence of Campbell. He said during a scrimmage with Polk County recently, Barr rushed 10 times for 87 yards and Miley rushed 10 times for 106 yards. “We really saw D'Andre grow up last week,” Harig said of his junior. He added about Friday night's performance, “With Tyler out, (Miley) really stepped up for us.”

    Campbell has been nursing a sprained ankle since before the jamboree and Harig said he was available Friday night in case of an emergency, but wasn't sure he'd be able to go Friday against Lenoir City. “We don't know, it's just kind of day-to-day,” Harig explained. Loudon took the opening kick and began the first drive of the season at its own 32. The Redskins ran four plays, all runs, to get to the Charger 32, but Miley was stuffed at the line on fourth and two.

    The Chargers took the ball at their own 32 and were forced into a quick three and out. The hosts lined up to punt on fourth, but the snap sailed over punter Ryan Russell's head and he kicked it through the back of the end zone for a safety before the Redskins could fall on the ball. After the free kick, the Redskins took over on their own 42, but the Chargers' Shane Moses fell on a Barr fumble on the first play. Two plays later, with the ball on the Redskin 28, McMinn Central quarterback Jordan Jackson misfired on a pass and Loudon's Gregory Vaught came away with a diving interception.

    Barr took over from there, making up for his earlier fumble by touching the ball on every down of a 10-play, 73-yard scoring drive. Barr carried the rock nine times for 71 yards and finished off the drive with a touchdown pass on a trick play to Keenan Hawkins on third down and goal from the two.

    After three failed drives, the Chargers took over the ball on their own 15 with 3:15 remaining in the half. Jackson rushed the ball two yards up the middle on the first play of the drive to set up second and eight. Quarterback Mick Gross fired down the left sideline on the second play and the Redskins' Ben Curtis made a diving interception over his shoulder to set up the next Redskin score.

    After an incomplete pass and a loss of one on a failed screen pass followed by a delay of game penalty, the visitors faced third and 16 from their own 45. Quarterback Blake McNew rolled left and found Vaught streaking down the left sideline for an easy 55-yard touchdown pass. The failed extra point kept the score 14-0 heading to halftime.

    As the teams headed off the field for halftime, the storms began. Rain only sprinkled down, but the lightning streaked across the sky. A Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) mandated 30-minute delay ensued to let the lightning pass, and then the game continued. Harig said the delay likely cooled his team down and played a part in their slow start to the second half. “(The Chargers) came out with a renewed spirit and they caught us on a big play and scored.” The score the coach referred to was on the opening drive of the second half. McMinn Central took the ball on their own 42 and moved to the Loudon 24, thanks primarily to a 35-yard reverse by Ryan Slack.







    On second and 12 from the 24, Gross found Jackson in the left corner of the end zone and Jackson pulled in the pass with two Redskin defenders flocking him. The visitors quickly recaptured the momentum when, starting from his own 15, McNew handed the ball off to Miley up the middle and the junior broke to the outside and raced 85 yards to paydirt. “That took a little bit of wind out of their sails,” Harig said after the game. The conversion snap then went to Barr who dodged Charger defenders the three yards needed to make the two-point conversion successful and put the visitors up 22-7.

    Two bad snaps by the Chargers on the ensuing possession gave the Redskins possession on the host eight. On the second play of the drive, Barr took the ball on a stretch play and dove into the end zone for the score. The final visiting score came with under five minutes remaining in the third. After a turnover on downs by the hosts, the Redskins began their drive from the opposing 44.

    Three plays that gained eight yards set up a fourth and two from the 36. The Redskins chose to go for it and Miley took the handoff and raced the remainder of the field for his second TD of the game. After the game, Harig said this win was “a good first win. They're a dangerous team with some athletes.” He added an opening win helped build confidence for the team. “All the things we've been preaching about doing, this just confirms those things.” The Redskins (1-0) open their home slate Friday when county rival Lenoir City visits for the annual “Battle of the Bridge.” Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.







RedskinsQuarterback ClubCricketsHoppers • MustangsIndians